Islamabad: 1. The Defence Committee of the Cabinet (DCC) met under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani on 25 May 2011.
2. The meeting was attended by Federal Ministers, Chairman JCSC, Services Chiefs and Director General (ISI).
3. The DCC reviewed the security situation arising from terrorist attacks and issues relating to regional security and stability.
4. The Chief of Naval Staff and Secretaries Defence, Interior and Foreign Affairs briefed the DCC on the terrorist attack on PNS Mehran, internal security and regional situation.
5. After in-depth discussions, it was decided that:
• Coordinated efforts will be made to prevent and pre-empt acts of terrorism.
• Security, defence and law enforcement agencies will be authorized to use all means necessary to eliminate terrorists and militants.
• All citizens should extend their full cooperation to the security, law enforcement agencies and defence forces to eliminate the menace of terrorism.
• National security is the foremost priority and all arms of the government will ensure that terrorists hideouts are destroyed using all appropriate means.
• The national consensus on eliminating terrorism will be implemented through a well coordinated and comprehensive strategy with the full support of the people and state institutions at all levels.
6. The DCC expressed full confidence in the ability and the capacity of the armed forces and law enforcement and intelligence agencies in meeting all threats to national security. It was decided that the DCC will continue to meet regularly to develop further, update and closely monitor implementation of the counter-terrorism strategy.
For more information, contact:
Syed Haider Ali Jafri
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Government of Pakistan
Tel: +9251 921 0335 and 9056604