East Ghouta (UNA-OIC) � Representative of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) in Syria Fran Equiza said on Sunday that more than 30 children have been killed in escalating violence, only over the first 14 days of 2018, in Syria's East Ghouta, where an estimated 200,000 children have been trapped under siege since 2013.
At a time when most parents are filled with the New Year's hope for their children's future, mothers and fathers in Syria are left grieving for the children they have lost, the UNICEF representative said in a statement.
He added that millions of children across Syria and in neighboring countries have suffered the devastating consequences of the nearly seven-year-old conflict.
While we saw a small glimmer of hope at the end of last year with the evacuation of 17 children in urgent need of medical attention, increased violence in and around east Ghouta turned hope into despair for the remaining 120 children who continue to suffer in silence waiting for urgent medical evacuation, Equiza said.
In Idlib, to the northwest of Syria, heavy violence reportedly killed and injured scores of children and women and displaced an estimated 100,000 civilians in the past few weeks, according to the statement.
The UNICEF official stressed the need to reach children in need of humanitarian assistance, urgently and without restrictions, wherever they are in Syria. He urged the various parties to the conflict to immediately allow humanitarian workers to reach those children with life-saving assistance.
Source: International Islamic News Agency