Geneva The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has said it will be forced to reprogram more resources tagged for malnutrition in Yemen unless the international community contributes $200 million to address the cholera outbreak in the country already facing famine.
This unprecedented cholera epidemic would further weaken the resources, and the resilience that people had had over the last two and a half years of this war, Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen Jamie McGoldrick told journalists in Geneva on Tuesday.
According to figures from OCHA, there are now 313,538 suspected cases of cholera in Yemen and 1,732 have died of the epidemic so far. About 40 percent of the suspected cases and a quarter of the deaths were among children younger than 15 years old, particularly the malnourished.
The UN has received only one-third of the $2.1 billion it sought to provide food to the millions of people facing famine in Yemen; separately, a $250 million funding appeal on cholera received only $47 million, according to UN News.
Agencies have had to use resources which they had programmed otherwise, for example for food security or malnutrition, said McGoldrick.
Source: International Islamic News Agency